Saturday, July 18, 2009

Design/Build

As I stated in an earlier post, the design-build process is to design it as you are building it. As many know I am a "green" person when it comes to using lumber. I have accumilated a collection of misc. wood pieces from construction sites and previous projects. Others may view it as cheap, I see it as recycling. I should get some "carbon footprint credits" for free gas for my truck. (If anyone knows anything about carbon credits please let me know, Al Gore is too intellectual for me.)

Anyway, I just finished a table and chair set for Brice, my first attempt at small chairs. I found a plan on the internet ($29.00 for a collection of plans for kid stuff -future use). I could not make the 30 degree angle cuts the plans called for so I looked at the picture and re-designed it.
They look good. I used an old small book shelf for the table base. I will post a picture of it later when I get it to Becki's house.

My projects are very unique. No two items are alike.

There are several things that motivate me:
Intsant gratification- I teach high school and the gratification is delayed or unapprecitated.
(the only teachers who get instant gratification are pre-school teachers who get hugs daily)
Some people play golf. I can make a piece of furniture and it is done.

Functionality- I like to make things that will be used. No usless decorative stuff. People can actually use the items I make.

For the enjoyment of others- one of my joys in life is helping others and making items others will use is fulfilling that joy.

My projects, will never match up to the "Red" standard, or look store bought, but they are made with my passion and will have its own unique look.

Some of my past request have been challenging, like scraping off a half-inch of polyurethane to refinish a chest, trying to distress a black dresser, making a corner shelf that that is uneven and wobbles (still sitting in the basement if anyone wants it) and finding studs in the wall (where is Deena when I need her).

My tools are: an air compressor with 4 types of nail guns- an old, but reliable chop saw- a ghetto, Taiwain table saw ($99 at Home Depot)- a 19.2 volt cordless drill (yeah, its that big)
-belt sander- jig saw-reciprocating saw and misc hand tools.

When I retire I will be happy with just making things. If I ever got a professional woodworking shop, I would be intimidated. Kind of like if Granny Grace was in a commercial kitchen, she would prefer her own house kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment